Thomas J. Kieffer »
(888) 899-5461 Tel
(608) 784-7414 Fax
Tom Kieffer concentrates in the areas of Business, Real Estate, and Employment Law. Tom has been associated with the firm since March 2001. He has served with associate general counsel for G. Heileman Brewing Company for eight years and as general counsel for Kwik Trip, Inc. a leading convenience store company in the upper Mid-West for 13 years prior to joining the firm. Tom is a member of the Real Property and Employment Sections of the State Bar of Wisconsin. He is a graduate of the Marquette Law School in 1980 and was also a graduate of Marquette University, earning a Bachelor of Arts Degree, summa cum laude in 1977.
Tom has handled a large variety of real estate related issues including acquisition/sale of properties with extensive experience in the commercial field, having participated in more than 250 commercial real estate closings as well as environmental, zoning, permit approval, and condemnation issues. He is also very familiar with the financing of large and mid-sized commercial purchases and sales.
Tom has been involved with counseling and handling employment cases throughout his corporate career and presently with the law firm. His experiences include handling sexual harassment, disability, retaliation and wage and hour claims.
His business practice includes formation of companies and many other facets of corporate practice. He also has a wide range of experience in administrative law in dealing with state and federal agencies as well as dealing with business disputes.
Tom also has been very active in the local community through participation in church organizations and through youth sports organizations.
- Handle negotiations, draft Offers to Purchase and all closing documents for clients interested in acquiring and selling real estate, enabling clients to acquire and sell real estate on favorable terms.
- Successfully defended clients, on multiple occasions, being sued for employment discrimination—prepared hearing witnesses and undertook legal defense of the discrimination complaint at the hearing.
- Assisted in negotiations and drafted purchase documents for clients interested in acquiring and/or selling a company on favorable terms.
- Marquette University, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 1977
Honors: Summa Cum Laude
Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
Honors: With Honors
Major: Political Science
- Classes/Seminars Taught:
- General Practice Seminar, State Bar of Wisconsin, Wausau, Wisconsin, September 23, 2005
- Wisconsin Bar Association, Employment Section, 1991 - Present
- Wisconsin Bar Association, Real Property Section, 1991 - Present
- La Crosse County Bar Association, 1980 - Present
- City of La Crosse, 2005 - 2008
- Member, Flood Plain Committee
- City of La Crosse, 2000 - 2002
- Member, Sign Ordinance Committee
- Past Employment Positions:
- Kwik Trip, Inc., Legal Counsel, 1988 - 2001
- G. Heileman Brewing Co., Attorney, 1980 - 1988
- Pro Bono Activities:
- Habitat for Humanity, Board of Directors, 2005 - 2013
- Parish Council Member, Blessed Sacrament Church of La Crosse, Wisconsin, 2010 - Present
- Benedictine Living Communities of Wisconsin, Board Member