Defending Drunk Driving Charges in La Crosse, Wisconsin, with Skill and Knowledge
Our law firm challenges OWI arrests based on many factors
Operating a vehicle while intoxicated (OWI) is a serious charge demanding a serious response. Suspension or revocation of your driver license, fines, and jail time can result after an arrest for driving under the influence of drugs, alcohol, or other controlled substances. In addition, you may be required to install an ignition interlock device on your vehicle(s).
An experienced attorney at Hale, Skemp, Hanson, Skemp & Sleik, Attorneys & Counselors at Law who defends drivers charged with OWI knows how to question the evidence, police procedures and testing that lead to an arrest. A knowledgeable lawyer can make sure that the evidence is sound, proper procedures are followed and test results are reliable. If the State fails to meet its burden of proof, an acquittal may occur. We investigate the facts and consider many questions, including:
- Was a breath,, blood, or urine test properly administered and the equipment properly maintained and calibrated to generate accurate, reliable test results?
- Was there reason to stop the vehicle, or did police action violate the rights of the driver?
- Did the police have probable cause to arrest, and were the field sobriety tests properly administered?
These questions and others may be key to your case. Developing sound arguments after a thorough review of the facts allows a DUI attorney to challenge your arrest.
Experienced Wisconsin OWI defense
Anyone who has lived or visited Wisconsin knows that drinking is part of the culture. Whether you were at a college party, attending a football game, or at a local bar, drinking is a common activity when spending time with friends and family. Unfortunately, penalties for OWI can be stiff, even if you are only slightly over the legal limit. Our attorneys will guide you through the legal process and inform you of all your options in minimizing penalties or to defeat an OWI charge.
Our OWI defense attorneys are experienced at representing clients in every aspect of an OWI case, including:
- Administrative hearings/licensing: Whether you were charged with an OWI in Wisconsin or charged out of state, you risk suspension or license revocation with any OWI charge. Professional drivers will lose their CDL license for one year with an OWI conviction. We can protect your rights and your license.
- Breathalyzer/breath tests: Breath tests and blood tests seek to establish your blood alcohol concentration (BAC). These tests must be properly administered and calibrated to be used in court. We will challenge any evidence that has been unlawfully or improperly obtained.
- Unlawful traffic stops: An officer must have probable cause to stop you. If you were unlawfully stopped and charged with an OWI, we will challenge the evidence presented against you.
- First-time DUI: First time offenders usually will not face jail time, but may face license suspension and large fines. Our attorneys will seek to defeat your charge to prevent a hike in your insurance premiums or seek to clear your record if you have a minimal BAC.
- Under 21 offenders: There is zero tolerance for offender under the age of 21. You will face license suspension for any alcohol in your system. We can protect your rights and your license.
At Hale, Skemp, Hanson, Skemp & Sleik, we recognize the importance of your driving privileges and the extent of the damage caused by a conviction for OWI. We listen to your concerns and work hard to defend your interests.
Get help from a dedicated attorney if you are arrested for drunk driving and charged with OWI
At Hale, Skemp, Hanson, Skemp & Sleik, we defend individuals charged with driving while intoxicated. If you are in jail after arrest, we make in-custody visits to talk with you about your situation. You can also reach our office by bus. We're situated a few blocks from the Mississippi River, and close to the Cass Street Bridge. Contact us online or call us at 608-519-4788.